Re: Lost file-system story

At Sun, 11 Dec 2011 23:23:33 -0500, Donald Allen
<donaldcallen%gmail.com@localhost> wrote:
Subject: Re: Lost file-system story

> How can you possibly say such a thing and hope to be taken seriously?
> What you just said means that P(survival) = .999 is the same as
> P(survival) = 0.
>
> There are a LOT of situations (e.g., mine) where P(survival) = .999
> would be very acceptable and P(survival) = 0 would not.

The manual page must not give probabilities or even speak of
possiblities.

So, as-is you have been warned properly by the manual page.

For planning purposes you _must_ expect that your filesystem will be
damaged beyond repair after a crash and that you will have to use
"newfs" and restore to recover.  Learn these expectations well and you
will be happier in the long run.  Fail to learn them and you have no
recourse but to wallow in your own sorrows.  I.e. you can't come to the
mailing list and say that you expected something better just because you
say you can get something better from something else entirely different.
You have false expectations based on your experiences with entirely
foreign environments.

Maybe Humpty Dumpty can be put back together again, sometimes, but even
if you have all the King's horses and all the King's men on call to
respond to a disaster at a moment's notice, you must not expect that you
can have the egg put back together successfully, even just once, even if
it does look like just a minor crack this time.

--
                                                Greg A. Woods
                                                Planix, Inc.

<woods%planix.com@localhost>       +1 250 762-7675        http://www.planix.com/