Re: 5.x filesystem performance regression

On Sat, 4 Jun 2011, Edgar Fuß wrote:

Any ideas where to look further? Anyone to confirm my measurements?

  One suggestion would be to use time -c which should show disk I/O counts
and see if there's any significant difference.  I don't think the -c
option was available on time in 4.x, so you would need to use csh and use the built in time command. When I was comparing extraction of pkgsrc.tgz to compare performance between NetBSD and FreeBSD to figure out the time difference for the ciss(4) driver, I noticed that FreeBSD did about half the number of disk operations, which would account for the time difference.

--
Michael L. Hitch                        mhitch%montana.edu@localhost
Computer Consultant