Re: 5.x filesystem performance regression

On Sat, 4 Jun 2011, Edgar Fuß wrote:

Any ideas where to look further? Anyone to confirm my measurements?

  One suggestion would be to use time -c which should show disk I/O counts
and see if there's any significant difference.  I don't think the -c
option was available on time in 4.x, so you would need to use csh and use the built in time command. When I was comparing extraction of pkgsrc.tgz to compare performance between NetBSD and FreeBSD to figure out the time difference for the ciss(4) driver, I noticed that FreeBSD did about half the number of disk operations, which would account for the time difference.

Michael L. Hitch
Computer Consultant
Information Technology Center
Montana State University        Bozeman, MT     USA