Re: extend sysmon watchdog modes?

On Wed, May 25, 2011 at 08:11:35PM -0700, Cliff Neighbors wrote:
> I am seeing a need for a new watchdog mode that is similar to
> WDOG_MODE_KTICKLE but instead of the watchdog service function
> running from a callout it needs to run from a (higher level)
> hardware interrupt.
>
> This mode would be useful for example when a system can
> legitimately spend significant time with callouts blocked,
> as when handling sustained heavy interrupt loads.

I wonder whether it is ordinarily useful to treat a system in such a
state like it isn't wedged.

Is this livelock in the network stack?  Assuming that is so, I wonder
whether ARP, NDP, TCP, et cetera, are able to do necessary housekeeping
in this situation?  Will userland ever get a slice of CPU?

Dave

dyoung%ojctech.com@localhost      Urbana, IL * (217) 344-0444 x24