Re: statvfs() sleeps forever on tstile

On Sun, May 08, 2011 at 01:36:53PM -0400, der Mouse wrote:
 > That could be part of my confusion, then.  Speaking strictly from a
 > personal-experience historical perspective, FFS was the Berkeley "Fast
 > File System", added no later than 4.2 (can't recall whether it was in
 > 4.1c) and UFS was Sun's name for FFS when they imported it to SunOS
 > (this was long before Solaris).  I've never totally understood the
 > distinction between the two as it exists in NetBSD.

In NetBSD-land the file system is FFS. The thing we have in NetBSD
called "ufs" is a directory of FFS-related code that's also shared
with LFS and the ext2fs implementation.

There's a version 2 superblock format that has no relationship to
FFSv1 and FFSv2 per se. It is used by both FFSv1 and FFSv2 and also (I
think) by LFS.

It is all very confusing and poorly documented. It doesn't help that
our attempts to standardize the terminology have diverged from other
groups.

--
David A. Holland
dholland%netbsd.org@localhost