Re: sys/dev/isa/fd.c FDUNIT/FDTYPE

On Sep 24,  8:03pm, Izumi Tsutsui wrote:
}
} >      So, instead of fixing the very broken MAKEDEV script, you want to
} > mangle multiple floppy drivers?  At the end of the day, MAKEDEV is
} > broken, it should not be treating floppy drives like hard drives.  The
} > unit letters don't have the same meaning and never have.
}
} There are two options, fixing kernels, or

     The kernels aren't broken and don't require fixing.

} fixing /dev nodes on existing disks (not only MAKEDEV script).

     As things sit now, you can't use the second floppy drive on an
amd64 machine.  Although, there are going to be very few amd64 machines
with two floppy drives (heck, modern PC motherboards don't have a
floppy controller any more), that should be fixed.

} I'm afraid few developers will maintain MAKEDEV script properly,

     Then they shouldn't be messing with it.

} and few users will rerun /dev/MAKEDEV on upgrade.

     It will be automatically run by sysinst.  If somebody manually
does an upgrade and doesn't do it properly that's their problem.
Besides, failing to run MAKEDEV will bite you in other ways, such as
missing dev nodes for new devices.

} Nowadays floppy is almost dead, so we don't have to care about
} compatibility, though...

     This doesn't mean we should be doing hack jobs.  NetBSD is about
doing things right.

}-- End of excerpt from Izumi Tsutsui