Re: Dates in boot loaders on !x86

On Tue, Jan 18, 2011 at 04:24:37PM +0100, Joerg Sonnenberger wrote:
 > Well, we derive the version to include from the version file. This is
 > controlled by a central script. What about adding support to expand
 > $DATE$ or some other magic version string, if it is the last in the
 > version file? If you are actively developing, you can add that to the
 > version file and hopefully remember to replace it with a proper version
 > entry before commit.

That's unnecessarily complicated. There's prior art for this:

NetBSD tanaqui 5.99.41 NetBSD 5.99.41 (TANAQUI) #32: Wed Dec  1 01:20:02 EST
2010 dholland@tanaqui:/usr/src/sys/arch/i386/compile/TANAQUI i386
                                                ^^^

Wouldn't be very hard to do the same for bootloaders.

--
David A. Holland
dholland%netbsd.org@localhost