Re: xorg pci probing

On Tue, Jan 18, 2011 at 11:39:35AM +0100, Christoph Egger wrote:
> The function pci_device_is_boot_vga() is supposed to return
> 'true' for the pci vga device the firmware uses which is not
> neccessarily the OS console device (it can be a serial console).

Ok. But your function answers "this is the vga device where wsdisplay0
attached" instead - is that a safe bet, especially in case you boot with
a serial console?

I still completely fail to see why X would like to know this detail and
what a wrong answer would mean. If it's just a wrong default display
but fixable via config file, it's fine.

> > Yes, but the same situation could happen on a desktop. Assume I would
> > have such a machine and boot it with serial console. According to your
> > logic (as far as I understood it so far), I wouldn't be able to use X.
>
> Right. The error message "Primary device is not PCI" comes from

This is unacceptable. I have a amd64 machine with serial console that I
use to run X, luckily it has only a single vga card right now.

Martin