Re: xorg pci probing

On 16.01.11 11:44, Martin Husemann wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 15, 2011 at 10:26:13PM +0100, Christoph Egger wrote:
>>
>> Hi!
>>
>> I have a machine with two PCI graphic cards:
>> 1x Radeon HD 4200
>> 1x Radeon HD 5600
>>
>> Starting X fails with the error message
>> "Primary device is not PCI"
>>
>> Per discussion with macallen@ I implemented
>> pci_device_is_boot_vga() in libpciaccess
>> which uses a new ioctl().
>
> Can you please explain what X is trying to tell you with that message
> and how "this is the vga device used as console by the os" is related to
> the answer? I wonder if the question more should be "this vga device
> has been initialized by the firmware already", and maybe your patch only
> happens to work on your machine by luck.

According to pcictl dump the firmware enables the Radeon HD4200 but not
the Radeon HD5600.

While X is probing the pci devices the driver enables all pci vga
devices. That is why checking for the 'firmware enabled' one fails.
When a second pci vga device is found the pci probing code is not able
to decide which one to use.

In /var/log/X.org both Radeon devices are enlisted but none has been
selected as the primary one. X then quits with the message
"Primary device is not PCI"

Per discussion with macallen@ I implemented pci_device_is_boot_vga()
and that works.

> What happens if you boot your machine with a serial console (assuming for
> the sake of argument it would have a serial port)?

That machine is a laptop and has no serial console.

Christoph