Re: ioctl(2) vs sys/ioctl.h

On Sun, 19 Dec 2010, Christos Zoulas wrote:

In article <>,
Paul Goyette  <> wrote:
Is there some reason why there is a discrepancy in the definition of

From man page ioctl(2)

             #include <sys/ioctl.h>

             ioctl(int d, unsigned long request, void *argp);

Yet, from sys/ioctl.h we have

        int     ioctl(int, unsigned long, ...);

Most of our ioctl's take pointer arguments. Some streams ioctls though
take int arguments (ioctl(fd, I_FLUSH, FLUSHR) for example) and using
void * as the argument would not compile cleanly. I think that we
should not have void * in the man page either.

Should the man page be updated to match reality?

| Customer Service | FA29 0E3B 35AF E8AE 6651 | paul at    |