Re: radix tree implementation for quota ?

On Mon, Nov 29, 2010 at 01:29:47AM +0700, Robert Elz wrote:
 > If you're going to force the quota info to be in the filesystem itself,
 > then you should probably consider splitting the two types of info that
 > are stored there - there's the current usage info (etc) that can certainly
 > be associated (very closely) with the filesystem, and there are the
 > administrator set limits, which really shouldn't be.

I'm not sure about that. As long as the limits are per-fs (let's say
"per-volume" for clarity), they're associated with the volume
regardless and they might as well be stored on the volume, because
otherwise you're buying into a bunch of known-ugly problems connecting
the proper volume to the proper quota information.

Having overall (not per-volume) quotas might be a nice idea, for
various reasons, but it isn't how quotas have ever worked anywhere
(AFAIK) and I'm not sure it makes sense in the presence of nfs anyway.

 > The problem is that we want to be able to have limits set for transient
 > filesystems (tmpfs, or mfs, etc), they shouldn't just be lost when the
 > filesystem evaporates.

This is true but I think some other method is needed for loading the
limits at mount time.

--
David A. Holland
dholland%netbsd.org@localhost