Re: Fixes for kern/40018 -- any chance of getting these pulled into the -current and 5.x trees?

        Hello Jonathan.  In researching this patch, I read the FreeBSD and
Linux drivers extensively to see what they did. As a final checked, I just
looked at the OpenBSD driver.  This patch now brings our driver into
conformance with all three other drivers with respect to which mode it
drives the chips in.
        With respect to the 5700 chip, it looks like we already consider the
Rev B version of that chip broken and don't even enable hardware
checksumming on it, which matches the behavior of the other drivers.  I
believe I understand the reasons you chose to do things the way you did,
and I believe, at the time, it was a reasonable choice.  Now, however, I
believe no other drivers are taking advantage of the chip's ability to not
calculate the pseudo header checksum, and, worse, the chips now randomly
switch modes while runing.  Rather than trying to figure out which chips
change modes and when they do it, it seemed easier to me to let the chips
run in full checksum calculation mode, and tell our stack of the
change.  And, since this is what all the other drivers I've looked at do,
and none of them have notes about having to worry about different revisions
of chips handling checksums on incoming packets differently, except for
those chips which are completely broken and which we already account for, I
feel pretty certain that this patch is correct and will put a lot of our
bge(4) problems, at least those related to checksum calculations, to bed.

-Brian