Hardware checksums on bge(4) interfaces

Just a question. Is there any reason *not* to use the various pieces of hardware checksumming that are shown as available on my bge(4) interfaces? Each of them show bidirectional IP, TCP, and UDP checksum capabilities. But, they're not enabled by default. I would've expected that they'd just *always* be valuable, but they're not automatically enabled, so I was wondering what the reasons would be to turn them on, to leave them turned off, etc.

Sorry if this should be a tech-net question, but it is really meant to be pretty inspecific and open. Thanks.

                                                        - Chris

--
Chris Ross