Re: CVS commit: src/tests/net/icmp

On 12.07.2010 16:41, Antti Kantee wrote:
> It's not the same thing.  Correct me if I misunderstood, but I thought
> you want to port/adjust/whatever rumpuser to the xen hypercall interace.
> Since the xen hypervisor interface, as opposed to a posix process
> environment, is designed for hosting an OS, you can do lowlevel ops
> as you'd expect to do them instead of having to think about high-level
> semantic meaning.

My goal: take rumpuser, and see how it could be used in microkernel-like
environment. Xen is my target (personal/free time work, just to make an
initial approach to rumpuser), but other API might be possible (this
part depends on external factors encountered at $DAYJOB).

Though there are some points I am still unsure with, some of them being:

- routing (the same way you pass message back and forth with puffs/pud);
for Xen, this cannot be solved through the hypervisor API, you have to
pull in Xen ring I/Os, and Xenstore, which acts as key:value storage
facility so that domains can share information ("if you want to issue
block requests for xbd0, contact domain 'foo'").

- drivers (how could it work with passthrough, what is attainable/what
is not)

This is motivated by the fact that I expect more and more systems
embedded with hypervisors (think PS3, sun4v, z/VM). I am just curious
how I could play with rump there.

> ... well, at least in theory, since we can't measure it yet.  Plus I'm
> not ultrafamiliar with Xen (read: not familiar at all), so there might
> be issues I don't foresee.  And there always are.  But business as usual:
> only one way to find out ;)

Heh, I am not at all familiar with your work, so... business as usual :)

Cheers,

--
Jean-Yves Migeon
jeanyves.migeon%free.fr@localhost