Re: CVS commit: src/tests/net/icmp

On Jul,Thursday 8 2010, at 11:22 PM, Thomas Klausner wrote:

> [redirected from source-changes-d to a hopefully more suitable mailing
> list]
>
> On Mon, Jul 05, 2010 at 12:26:17AM +0300, Antti Kantee wrote:
>> I'm happy to give a more detailed explanation on how it works, but I need
>> one or two questions to determine the place where I should start from.
>> I'm planning a short article on the unique advantages of rump in kernel
>> testing (four advantages by my counts so far), and some questions now
>> might even help me write that one about what people want to read instead
>> of what I guess they'd want to read.
>
> I looked at the tests some more (tmpfs race, and the interface one
> from above). I think I can read them, but am unclear on some of the
> basic properties of a rump kernel.
>
> For example:
> 1. Where is '/'? Does it have any relation to the host systems '/'? Is
> it completely virtual in the memory of the rump kernel?
> 2. Do I understand correctly that for e.g. copying a file from the
> host file system into a rump kernel file system, I would use read and
> rump_sys_write?
> 3. Similarly for network interfaces -- open a socket with socket(2) or
> rump_socket(or so) and copy bytes with read/rump_sys_write?
> 4. Could you NFS export the rump kernel file system to the host?
> (Probably better to a second rump kernel...)
> 5. I think I read that rump (or some other part) can now talk USB. How
> would one attach a USB device on the host system to a USB controller
> inside the rump kernel?

Let me add some of my questions about rump :)

6) How are device nodes managed inside rump when e.g. /dev/mapper/control
created by libdevmaper rump lib.
7) Does RUMP support multiprocessor setup ? e.g. Can I boot rump kernel in SMP
mode and do I need SMP machine for that ?
8) Is it possible to run rump_exec in rump ? e.g. to boot rump kernel and start
init by it ?

Regards

Adam.