Re: PAT & pmap(9) changes (was Re: CVS commit: src)

On Thu, Jul 08, 2010 at 03:03:06PM +0200, Christoph Egger wrote:

> > > It was enough time for code review. I thought, the way how it works
> > > was clear after the discussion of the first version stopped.
> >
> > I didn't see any of the concerns David expressed earlier really addressed
> > in any way.
>
> Please explain. Which concerns were not addressed?

David asked about the interaction of the various mapping registers.  I
understood his questions to be aimed at producing an abstract, MI
interface that would result in such MD details being handled behind
the programmer's back -- the programmer should not have to understand
this kind of MI detail to write MI code.

The response I saw -- and maybe I missed something -- was a giant table
of the interaction of these registers as architecturally defined for X86.
That's exactly the kind of detail that people working on MI parts of the
kernel should never have to encounter.

Thor