Re: Move the vnode lock into file systems

On Sun, Jun 27, 2010 at 06:18:19PM +0200, Juergen Hannken-Illjes wrote:
 > > (In the absence of some clear benefits I don't think it's a
 > > particularly good idea to paste a dozen or two copies of genfs_lock
 > > everywhere. But folding vcrackmgr() into genfs_lock and genfs_unlock
 > > seems like a fine idea.)
 >
 > Primary goal is to abstract vnode locking into the vnode operations
 > only and therefore completely removing vlockmgr().

That I can agree with :-)

 > For now I can live with genfs_lock()/v_lock becoming the generic
 > locking interface where v_lock becomes genfs_lock()-private.

and that I have no objection to.

Vaguely related to which, does anyone object to wrapping VOP_UNLOCK in
a vn_unlock() function (doing nothing extra), so as to be symmetric
with vn_lock()? I think I've mentioned this before, but I'm not sure,
and if so it was a while back...

--
David A. Holland
dholland%netbsd.org@localhost