Re: why not remove AF_LOCAL sockets on last close?

On Fri, Jun 25, 2010 at 08:47:49AM -0400, Greg Troxel wrote:

>   Can anyone tell me why, exactly, we shouldn't remove bound AF_LOCAL
>   sockets from the filesystem on last close?  The following test program
>   produces "second socket bind failed" on every system I've tested it on,
>   and seems to cover the only possible use case for this "feature"...
>
> Have you looked at posix to see if it speaks to this?  I don't think it
> gets specific enough to say.
>
> A reason might be that every other system behaves the same way and being
> different will just lead to non-portable code.

Non-portable *how*?  What exactly would happen?

I think this is (always has been) a considerable blind spot on the part
of BSD partisans.  Sure, we're happy to gripe about persistent SysV IPC
objects every time we have to remember how to use ipcrm, but bound AF_UNIX
sockets have the same issue, and we just ignore it.

Thor