Re: __read_mostly and __mp_friendly annotations

I dug into this some, and I think it's a non-issue.  On the bootloader I have a
custom ldscript, so that base is covered fine.  I'm not using any special
alignments on the rest of the kernel, so we should be ok.  Sorry for the

On 06-Jun-2010 Matt Fleming wrote:
> On Thu, 03 Jun 2010 07:52:20 -0700 (MST), Tim Rightnour
> <>
> wrote:
>> The only thing I'm not sure about, is if it's safe to use an alignment of 64
>> on
>> powerpc.  The issue is mostly that the powerpc cpus vary wildly in cacheline
>> sizes, and whinyness about alignment.  I suspect it's not a big deal, as the
>> kernel isn't generally as picky as the bootloader is about alignment issues.
>> IIRC I might have used 64 as the alignment on the bootloader too though, so
>> it
>> might be just fine and my memory failing.
> Is there anyway to check whether this is a real issue or not? Do any
> data items really need an alignment > 64 bytes?

Tim Rightnour <>
NetBSD: Free multi-architecture OS
Genecys: Open Source 3D MMORPG: