Re: Hardware RAID problem with NetBSD 5?

At Tue, 30 Mar 2010 00:38:05 +0000 (UTC), John Klos
<> wrote:
Subject: Hardware RAID problem with NetBSD 5?
> ataraid0: found 1 RAID volume
> ld0 at ataraid0 vendtype 3 unit 0: nVidia ATA RAID-1 array
> ld0: 931 GB, 121601 cyl, 255 head, 63 sec, 512 bytes/sect x 1953525120
> sectors

I guess ataraid(4) is broken in NetBSD-5, as it is in NetBSD-4 and

See PRs #42985 and #38273 for starters.

> Strange... Does anyone have any ideas? Has anyone seen behaviour like
> this, particularly the reset button getting disabled?

I booted today's kernel and encountered a rather harder lockup than
previously (DDB hung doing a backtrace, sending BREAK to the serial
console had no effect), though the reset button, at least on my machine
downstairs, still worked fine.

I can imagine some machines where the reset button is more of a software
controlled feature -- I've seen that kind of design mistake several
times before -- but I don't know any details of your MSI board (and I
can't find any manuals or other information about it on MSI's site).

                                                Greg A. Woods
                                                Planix, Inc.

<>       +1 416 218 0099