Re: config(5) break down

On Fri, Mar 26, 2010 at 12:41 PM, matthew green <mrg%eterna.com.au@localhost>
wrote:

>   On Fri, Mar 26, 2010 at 6:49 AM, David Holland
> <dholland-tech%netbsd.org@localhost> wrote:
>   > On Thu, Mar 25, 2010 at 06:22:17PM +0900, Masao Uebayashi wrote:
>   >  > > > % grep ':.*,' sys/conf/files | wc -l
>   >  > > >         86
>   >  > >
>   >  > > And? I don't understand your point. There are a lot more than 86
>   >  > > entities in sys/conf/files.
>   >  >
>   >  > There are many instances where modules have multiple dependencies.
>   >
>   > And? I still don't understand your point.
>
>   OK, then I may be misunderstanding what you meant by "diamonds".
>
>   But anyway, never mind.  I give up convincing you because this seems
>   to be never going to be constructive.  I see no benefit in convincing
>   you.
>
> please keep going.
>
> i am yet to see any benefit to your ideas in this thread.  you've
> not given any good reason for breaking up files*.

To manage dependency nicely.

When a module A dpend on B, you write "define A: B", where B has to be
already "define"'ed in the current syntax.  We're managing such
ordering "by hand" in sys/conf/files.  By splitting files & use
"include", we don't need to manage such a mess by hand.  David Holland
already understood this:

        http://mail-index.netbsd.org/tech-kern/2010/03/11/msg007633.html

So we have already agreed that split has "some" benefit.  The point
is, my split+include way doesn't need any syntax change.

I'm not saying changing syntax is bad.  My complaint is that David
Holland is suggesting things without understanding the existing
syntax.  I spent a whole weekend to read sys/conf/files, ioconf.c, and
module stubs in sys/dev/usb/uaudio.c.  I wasted a whole weekend.  I've
been wasting more time to convince David Holland who has never
bothered to understand the existing syntax.

Masao