Re: (Semi-random) thoughts on device tree structure and devfs

At Fri, 12 Mar 2010 00:35:24 +0900, Masao Uebayashi
<uebayasi%gmail.com@localhost> wrote:
Subject: Re: (Semi-random) thoughts on device tree structure and devfs

> Speaking of tracking state...  I've found that keeping track of state
> in devfsd is very wrong.

Indeed -- I do agree with that much at least!

I've had diskless systems running for a long while now (since 2003)
where /dev is created by init(8) on every boot (by running
/sbin/MAKEDEV, as I've renamed it).

In the extremely rare cases where I've wanted to change permissions or
similar on a device node I can just use the normal commands:

        chmod 666 /dev/tty001

and if I want to make such a change persistent across boots I just add
that exact same command to /etc/rc.local.

There's no magic needed.

I think the only key feature necessary is that devfs handle the normal
permissions and ownership changes, but to do so of course with no more
persistence than tmpfs, md. or mfs.

--
                                                Greg A. Woods
                                                Planix, Inc.