Re: (Semi-random) thoughts on device tree structure and devfs

On Wed, Mar 10, 2010 at 9:57 PM, Johnny Billquist <bqt%softjar.se@localhost>
wrote:
> Hmm, I just realized that I didn't completely follow how your file system
> design will even solve which controller gets which path. Maybe it was in
> your original mail, but I have forgotten that detail in that case. If you
> have two disk controllers on one bus, how do you decide which is "0", and
> which is "1"?

Physical location has to be known by drivers in some way.  Bus drivers
are responsible to probe devices & enumerate them precisely.
Otherwise those buses and their children are not predictable.  What
I've in mind is like:

        /dev/.../pci0/pcislot0/isp0/...
        /dev/.../pci0/pcislot1/isp0/...
        /dev/.../pci0/pcislot2/isp0/...