Re: (Semi-random) thoughts on device tree structure and devfs

On Tue, Mar 09, 2010 at 08:45:09PM +0100, Joerg Sonnenberger wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 09, 2010 at 02:23:13PM -0500, Thor Lancelot Simon wrote:
> > I want to be able to tell the kernel to mount a device reliably identified
> > by some kind of unique, symbolic name.  I want to be able to load a list
> > of permissible such names into the kernel while it's running insecure, and
> > restrict mounting to those and only those when it's running secure.
>
> I don't get it. What kind of devices are you talking about? If the
> environment is static, you can still use the same identifier as before.

When you say "the same identifier as before" what exactly do you mean?

> If it is not, why do you believe that the device you are dealing with is
> the one you hoped it is?

That's a matter for the kernel to decide -- not one for some userspace
program which could be tampered with by any process running with euid 0.

At least, that is how I would strongly prefer it to be.

Thor