Re: (Semi-random) thoughts on device tree structure and devfs

> I'd go further and say that we should be able to supply a set of device
> properties (such as drvctl -p prints) to the kernel.  Let us match a
> device by its intrinsic properties (MAC address, serial number, and/or
> GUID), and set the unit number according to the device property.

Where do those GUIDs come from?  From kernel config?

> Quentin is right that this *only* helps us to fix the unit number, but I
> think that in itself is an important, *feasible* step forward.

The question is, why do you need device unit number, when we can lookup struct
device directly?  cfdriver_t -> device_t is a back reference.  The only case
it makes sense I can think of is device detachment, but that's handled by
reference counting.

Masao

--
Masao Uebayashi / Tombi Inc. / Tel: +81-90-9141-4635