Re: config(5) break down

> Maybe it should be merged then?

Forgot to mention that pooka@ is also working on that part.  I'd avoid doing
things conflicted with theirs.  I'm talking about The Other End.

> See, this is the part that I don't understand. You're talking about
> normalizing logic, which is fine, and making shared files first-class
> entities, which is fine too though could get messy.

I have no idea how normalized *.conf files can be messier than sys/conf/files
we have now.

> But then suddenly you jump into splitting up files.* into lots of
> little tiny files and I don't see why or how that's connected to what
> you're trying to do.

It looks sudden to you, because we've long had the monolithic sys/conf/files.

Why have we had that messy big file?  What is the justification of having
random piece of definitions in one file and manage its dependencies by hand?
Who maintains it?

To manage a complex system which is made of many components which depend on
each other, we usually split the thing into modules and write dependencies.
Like *.c and *.h files, /etc/rc.d, pkgsrc, etc.  If you claim that splitting
sys/conf/files is a bad thing, you'd consider to concatenate all the *.c / *.h
files in the sys/kern too?

The reason why sys/conf/files is that big now, I guess, is that people don't
know how to write config(5), which I've figured out for the first time
on the earth.

Masao

--
Masao Uebayashi / Tombi Inc. / Tel: +81-90-9141-4635