Re: config(5) break down

On Fri, Mar 05, 2010 at 01:14:50AM +0900, Masao Uebayashi wrote:
 > > Perhaps a first step would be using config(1) and files.* to generate
 > > the module makefiles instead of maintaining them by hand...
 >
 > cube@ said he did this part long time ago.  The thing is that only
 > fixing these tools don't solve all problems magically.  We have to
 > fix wrong instances around the tree.

Maybe it should be merged then?

 >>> Broken config(5) files will be named like "<module>.conf", because files.*
 >>> namespace is insufficient.  For example pci.kmod can't use files.pci.
 >>
 >> Huh? I don't understand.
 >
 > Let's see the real examples.  sys/conf/files has this:
 >
 >      file    net/zlib.c      (ppp & ppp_deflate) | ipsec | opencrypto |
 > vnd_compression
 >
 > This means [...]
 > We should "normalize" this as [...]
 >
 > Now we define a module "ppp_deflate" which depends on "ppp" and "zlib".  To
 > make dependency really work, the depended modules must be already defined.
 > To make sure, we have to split files into pieces and "include" dependencies.
 >
 > net/zlib.conf

See, this is the part that I don't understand. You're talking about
normalizing logic, which is fine, and making shared files first-class
entities, which is fine too though could get messy.

But then suddenly you jump into splitting up files.* into lots of
little tiny files and I don't see why or how that's connected to what
you're trying to do.

--
David A. Holland
dholland%netbsd.org@localhost