Re: [PAE support] Types + cosmetic fixes

On Fri, 26 Feb 2010, Izumi Tsutsui wrote:

> Are you talking about ABI of kernel modules?

That's actually the problem.  We have a kernel driver API, but we do not
have a kernel driver ABI.  Things like bus_space and bus_dma are
progamming interfaces but the specific implementation of the interfaces is
left to the reader.  Most of the time they are implemented as a set of
macros that operate on data structures hiddend by other macros, due to
performance claims.  Until each platform defines an interface in terms of
specific entry points and parameters explitly laid out in registers or
memory, you don't really have an ABI.

Has anybody actually gone through the kernel code and defined a specific
set of routines for use by drivers, or is it still open season for
anything in the kernel?  I don't recall having seen anything like that.

(Adding some sort of versioning to the interfaces would also be good, that
way a kernel could refuse to load an old, incompatible module, or better
yet, redirect the module interfaces through compatibility glue.)

Eduardo