Re: buffer cache can return buffer of another inode ?

On Sun, Jan 31, 2010 at 12:35:16AM +0100, Manuel Bouyer wrote:
> Hi,
> while investigating directory corruption on my NFS server I found
> a possible issue with the buffer cache.
>
> The buffer cache keeps a hash of buf_t, the key being (vp, bp->b_lblkno).
> This allows, for a read or write, to find if a buffer for this block
> has already been allocated and if data is already in code (eventually).
> buffers in this hash should also be in one of the vnode's buffer list,
> and the vnode should be on the hold list (so it gets recycled after
> vnodes with no buffer).
>
> Now if vnode_free_list is empty, getcleanvnode() will remove one from
> vnode_hold_list and vclean() it. vclean() will flush and release buffers
> from the vnode lists, but won't remove the buffer from the (vp, bp->b_lblkno)
> hash. This clean vnode will get associated with a new inode and
> if the I/O started on it has the same lblkno, the buffer will be
> found in the hash, eventually providing data from the previous inode,
> or writing to the previous inode. This is very rare, because
> vnode from the hold list are not reused often and there is usually
> less buffers than vnodes in the system (so a buffer is likely recycled
> before a vnode is). Also, VREG vnode usually don't use the buffer cache.
>
> I think vclean() should also take care of removing the vnode from
> the buffer cache's hash. Comments ?

I missed something in my analysis: vclean() invalidate buffers which,
among other things, calls brelsel(bp, BC_INVAL | BC_VFLUSH).
So the buffer is marked BC_INVAL which should cause brelvp() to be called,
which sets b->b_vp to NULL. So incore() won't return this buffer, because
b_vp doens't match, and because the buffer is marked BC_INVAL.

my corruption issue is somewhere else :(