Re: buffer cache can return buffer of another inode ?

On Sun, Jan 31, 2010 at 12:35:16AM +0100, Manuel Bouyer wrote:
 > Hi,
 > while investigating directory corruption on my NFS server I found
 > a possible issue with the buffer cache.
 > [...]
 > I think vclean() should also take care of removing the vnode from
 > the buffer cache's hash. Comments ?

Yes. Except, what if someone else is holding the buffer? Invalidating
buffers is delicate (both in general and in the code we currently
have) and doing this could easily just move the problem around.

I'm not familiar enough with the guts to suggest a probably-safe way
of doing this in the short term; in the long term I think the buffer
cache code needs a big rototill and design review. It is next on my
list when/if I ever finish with namei...

--
David A. Holland
dholland%netbsd.org@localhost