Re: Placing lwp in uarea [was: Re: uarea swap-out]

On Sat, Jan 23, 2010 at 06:37:35PM +0000, Mindaugas Rasiukevicius wrote:

> Rationale of this change: there would be a single allocation for LWP and
> PCB, which I think would reduce some memory fragmentation, as well as some
> allocation overhead, especially on architectures with 16k-pages or more,
> like mips64.

With large pages, the uareas (complete with kernel stack) foe more than
one process could be in the same page.

Now we don't swap uareas, they could be allocated with kmem_alloc().
(Or something similar, or a pool, or some intermediate structure
for allocating fixed size items that knows which of the kem_alloc()
lists to allocate from, and maybe counts items in and out.)

        David

--
David Laight: david%l8s.co.uk@localhost