Re: Multiboot for amd64?

On Fri, 8 Jan 2010, Grégoire Sutre wrote:

Steven Bellovin wrote:

There is multiboot support for i386, which is great. But i386 seems to be the only architecture with multiboot support. Are there plans to add multiboot support to amd64?

I didn't know it was nominally unsupported;

I may be wrong, but this is the impression I get from a grep on the -current sources (in sys/arch). Regarding amd64, I could not find the multiboot magic number in the 8192 first bytes of the GENERIC kernel, so I'm pretty sure that this one is not multiboot compliant.

it's been working very well for me on 5.0.x for several months, in a Xen
configuration:

menu=Xen (256MB):load /netbsd-DOM0;multiboot /xen.gz dom0_mem=256M console=com1 com1=9600,8n1

Is this on i386?

"options MULTIBOOT" is enabled by default in i386 GENERIC kernels. It is not on by default in amd64.

Thanks,

Grégoire

|   Paul Goyette   | PGP DSS Key fingerprint: |  E-mail addresses:      |
| Customer Service | FA29 0E3B 35AF E8AE 6651 |  paul at whooppee.com   |