Re: wedges and gpt.

On Wed, Oct 07, 2009 at 07:00:36AM -0600, Herb Peyerl wrote:

> On Oct 7, 2009, at 6:46 AM, Joerg Sonnenberger wrote:
>>> sysinst support is not that helpful as long as the boot support is
>>> not
>>> present. Which will hopefully hit the tree very soon now.
>
> What would be nice is having 'gpt' and 'dkctl' in the sysinst root to
> eliminate this step:

I have fought with GPT, NetBSD and Intel Macs several times.  My basic
complaint isn't any of these -- it's that on a disk that has *ever* had
a GPT partition table on it, our DKWEDGE_AUTODISCOVER and GPT code
conspire to have the alternate copy of the GPT override the BSD disklabel,
whether that label's in an MBR partition or raw in the disklabel sector
on the whole disk!  Macs ship with GPT partition tables, so if you take
a Mac Mini out of the box, pop a NetBSD CD in, and reinstall it, you'll
get all the way to the end of the install then find you can boot, but
the kernel doesn't find the root partition you just made.

I think if we're going to keep a list of GPT and wedge-related problems
this one should be way up there.

Thor