Re: wedges and gpt.

On Wed, Oct 07, 2009 at 06:36:11AM -0600, Herb Peyerl wrote:
> I'm rather surprised this has been a work in progress since 2004 and
> today, in almost-2010, Sysinst still has no idea what a dk-anything
> is...

sysinst support is not that helpful as long as the boot support is not
present. Which will hopefully hit the tree very soon now.

> (1) the 'gpt' command tells you what to type to dynamically create a
> wedge but the command it spews is not syntactically correct.

The preferable fix would be to trigger a reenumeration by the kernel,
but that doesn't exist yet.

> (3) Do we really need a GPT partition table, then wedges, then an
> MBR partition table, and then subsequently a BSD disk label?  This
> onion has a lot of layers.

The idea is that you have only the GPT table. The wedges are just the
representation of the inidividual entries. There is no need for a disk
label.

> (4) Even once I did get it all working properly, gpt still reports
> "gpt: rwd0d: Suspicious MBR at Sector 0" and I never did figure out
> how to make that go away while leaving a functional system.

Are you using bootcamp? IIRC that is doing some strange things.

Joerg