Re: kern/29360: vfs.generic.usermount and mount(8) general questions

On Sun, Sep 06, 2009 at 09:23:19PM +0300, Antti Kantee wrote:
> Apparently you can still make the system panic by just mounting a zillion
> kernfs's (which is just one way to make the kernel run out of memory).
> I think the problem is that somewhere along the line kmem_alloc(KM_SLEEP)
> returns NULL.  I remember there being discussions that the caller of
> kmem_alloc() should always check against NULL return, but that of course
> makes calling it slightly inconvenient.

Supposedly, allocations with KM_SLEEP won't return NULL, so code can
safely assume they don't.  I've been told at least once that it is bad
style to check...!

Thor Lancelot Simon
    "Even experienced UNIX users occasionally enter rm *.* at the UNIX
     prompt only to realize too late that they have removed the wrong
     segment of the directory structure." - Microsoft WSS whitepaper