Re: clearing bogus journal

> > "unrecognized wapbl type" problem could happen as noted PR kern/39924,
> > and in that case we should fix kernel to allow mount such fs readonly.
> > (fsck_ffs(8) can fix it)
>
> How ? In my case fsck_ffs (from 5.0.1) didn't fix anything. This is
> what motivated my email.

"unrecognized wapbl type" error is different from
"unknown journal type" caused by fsck_ffs -c4 against old fs.
In the former case, fsck_ffs(8) complains
"UNABLE TO READ JOURNAL FOR REPLAY"
but it also shows "CONTINUE?" prompt.

> > it's better to provide some tools to fix it, but I have a feeling
> > that such feature should be enabled by some explicit option.
> > (I'm not sure if we will add other journal types in future though)
>
> My idea was to have fsck_ffs check for it and abort the boot (just as
> other severe problems noted by fsck_ffs -p).

Okay, I agree adding a check for "unknown journal type" in fsck_ffs(8).
(though we also have to fix kernel for root file system anyway)

> It's better to abort the boot
> than let it continue with the filesystems not mounted properly.

Isn't it also better to have some option to "ignore/clear existing journal"
in fsck_ffs(8)?
---
Izumi Tsutsui