Re: Problem with pty(4) handling under NetBSD-5, was: Re: Problem with pckbc(4) under NetBSD-5

On Fri, 5 Jun 2009, Brian Buhrow wrote:

>       This problem definitely does not exist under NetBSD-4, but I can't
> say for certain when it was introduced.  I'll start trying various
> revisions of the src/sys/kern/tty.c and/or src/sys/kern/tty_pty.c and
> see where I come out.

There have been major locking changes in the kernel since NetBSD-4 and
this is likely related to those rather than any single change in the tty
code.

> On the face of my initial investigation, though, this seems to be a
> pretty serious bug.

If you can create a simple testcase that will demonstrate the problem
(either using a generic app or a cutdown program), that would no doubt
help somebody pin down the exact race condition..

iain