Re: disappointing upgrade to NetBSD 5.0

Manuel Bouyer wrote:
On Thu, May 28, 2009 at 01:47:59PM -0700, Dan Engholm wrote:
Manuel Bouyer wrote:
How was your filesystem formatted ? xen3 domU only support 32k MAXPHYS,
so you can't use a ffs with 64k block size ..
Manuel,

That's probably it. My ffs is formatted with bsize = 64KiB. Is my only option to reformat to 32KiB or smaller blocks?

Unfortunably yes. Actually this is related to a limitation of the xen3
xbd interface which doesn't allows 64k requests. The workaround it to
split 64k requests in 2 32k requests in the domU, and aggregate it again in
a 64k request in dom0 but that's not implemented yet.

It took a while but I managed to finally get my upgraded NetBSD 5.0/Xen 3/X.org/X11R7 system back up and running. It was painful but I haven't lost any data. I still have a few issues to iron out but at least I have my main machine usable for most tasks again. The 32k block size limit was the key.

Xen 2 seems to be much less than stable with NetBSD 5.0. That's not too surprising given its age. I would recommend to everybody still running Xen 2 to upgrade to Xen 3 before upgrading to NetBSD 5.0, just to take smaller steps.

Thanks for all the help and advice.

--Dan