Re: disappointing upgrade to NetBSD 5.0

Dan Engholm wrote:
I can't be sure what I am doing to get the problem to occur, but it seems
to be network related.  Looking around Google, I found one thread in
port-xen with a similar description but it dead ended with no resolution. (see http://mail-index.netbsd.org/port-xen/2009/01/18/msg004686.html)

It is network related, but the error is due to the hypervisor returning an error for the decrease memory operation. As the domU does not expect it to fail, it ends in panic().

Advice would be the same as in the link above: any error reported by the hypervisor on its console?

Building databases:panic: buf mem pool index 7
Begin traceback...
uvm_fault(0xc9d58b98, 0, 1) -> 0xe
fatal page fault in supervisor mode
trap type 6 code 0 eip c0396531 cs 9 eflags 10246 cr2 0 ilevel 0
panic: trap
Faulted in mid-traceback; aborting...
dumping to dev 142,16 offset 1582223
dump device bad

rebooting...

What it should have said after "Building databases:" is:

Building databases: dev, utmp, utmpx done
Starting syslogd.
Setting date via ntp.
Checking for core dump...

Any chance we could get a backtrace?

For that, edit the /etc/sysctl.conf of domU, set the ddb.onpanic to 1. Then "bt" from ddb prompt.

Since the upgrade, my user domain no longer boots without intervention.  It
does not figure out on its own where the root partition is so I have to
manually enter "xbd0a" from the Xen console.  The configuration file has
'root = "/dev/xbd0a"' in it as it has since I started using Xen.  This is
true regardless of which version of Xen I use.

And with root = "xbd0" ?

Also, I got burned by Xen telling me that the "nics" configuration option
is obsolete.  The man page says that it's still valid and that its default
value is 1.  If I don't have a "nics = 1" line in my configuration file, no
NICs are created and the creation fails because it can't configure the
network.  What gives?

vif array?

vif = ['mac=00:16:3e:00:00:11, bridge=bridge0'] # for example

--
Jean-Yves Migeon
jeanyves.migeon%free.fr@localhost