Re: "Marvell Hercules-2" card?

On Mon, Apr 27, 2009 at 05:06:36PM -0400, der Mouse wrote:
> A willingness to run JBOD, whether from lack of RAID capability or by
> being RAID-capable and just being configured JBOD, is crucial here.

A warning here, to elaborate on this point - be sure that yor card,
whatever it is, gives you th raw full disk when in JBOD mode (ie, that
it does not still add some proprietary label or reserved area) such
that you can use a disk in the same way, with exactly the same size,
as you can via a plain controller.

This property does not hold for some of the too-smart-for-my-own-good
raid cards.  I suggest searching the opensolaris and zfs forums for
specfic reports.

--
Dan.