Re: "Marvell Hercules-2" card?

On Mon, Apr 27, 2009 at 03:46:15PM -0400, der Mouse wrote:

> I had a look through 4.0.1's src/sys/dev (the machine in question is at
> 4.0.1) and didn't see anything that has the Marvell and Hercules names
> together (at least not on a RAID driver - there were some network
> interface drivers I didn't check to see whether they were false
> positives).  The maker's webpage is rather badly designed (what a
> surprise), but seems to imply that special drivers are needed for
> Linux, which to me argues against NetBSD having support.  But I've
> misread such things often enough before.

I think I have one of these.  I will drop it in a system and see what it
looks like on the bus.  If I remember correctly, under Linux, without
proprietary Marvell kernel modules, it will attach as a plain SATA
controller but won't provide any RAID functionality, though the card does
supposedly include some kind of CPU which the Marvell kernel module uses
to do RAID parity computations, if you use their driver.

So it might be possible to make it work with mvsata, with some whacking,
but I wouldn't expect to see hardware RAID go.

I've received a lot of recommendations for Areca stuff lately.  I too
am not much of a 3ware fan.

Thor