re: the __ namespace in the kernel

   >__ symbols:

this seems MD and can probably be renamed without issue.  only
some platforms seem to define them.

these ones probably need to be special cased.

these seem to be subsystem specific and should get real subsystem

these seem all wdc driver private, i don't see why they can't
just all be renamed.
   I think these are very few, so I am fine to remove one underscore.

beyond __cpu_simple*(), i don't see any good reason for any
of them to have any leading underscores.