der Mouse [Re: Path to kmods]

On Sat, Nov 22, 2008 at 11:40:09PM -0500, der Mouse wrote:

> Does this mean my value has gone negative?  Perhaps.  I suspect it
> depends on the extent to which the value metric used aligns with my
> opinions.  If the Project's opinion of my value goes negative, I expect
> to get mail from core, or board, or some such, saying so, in which case
> I'll go away.

I apologise for doing this in public, but you did ask.

I have no idea what you are like in person. While you come across as a nice
enough guy and you do offer some contributions now and then, one word
defines your interaction with the people who drive this project forward:
negativity.

Whether it is telling us that we shouldn't bother trying to compete with
Linux in XYZ market segment because we are going to fail, or whether it is
regularly telling us that major initiatives/ideas are bad, or making false
proclimations of doom over the product in public, or telling us how you have
not upgraded since 1.4T because the current product is crap, we are sick and
tired of it and don't want to hear it any more.

You are of course entitled to your opinion, but, you have imposed it loudly
upon our group for over ten years and we have had enough. It is especially
jarring for us because you have a developer account -- which puts you in a
position to speak for the project.

So from from those of us actively working on NetBSD (people who contribute
code every week if not day) the answer is: yes, go, find a new hobby.

--
Andrew Doran