re: 5.0/i386 regressions

   I have encounted this problem too. I've learned that disabling
   ichlpcib* allows to shutdown cleanly.

   Fragments from dmesg:

   ichlpcib0 at pci0 dev 31 function 0
   ichlpcib0: vendor 0x8086 product 0x24cc (rev. 0x01)
   timecounter: Timecounter "ichlpcib0" frequency 3579545 Hz quality 1000
   ichlpcib0: 24-bit timer
   ichlpcib0: TCO (watchdog) timer configured.
   ichlpcib0: SpeedStep enabled

   But Celeron-M used in my Thinkpad doesn't have SpeedStep.

could you try some tests for this?

in sys/arch/x86/pci/ichlpcib.c lpcibattach() function, try
commenting out each of the 4 things this driver sets up:

        pmtimer_configure(self);

        tcotimer_configure(self);

        speedstep_configure(self);

        lpcib_hpet_configure(self);

if you can test multiple times with only one commented, or
only one left in, and figure out which part causes the
reboot to fail, that would be very helpful.

thanks,

.mrg.