re: 5.0/i386 regressions

   I have encounted this problem too. I've learned that disabling
   ichlpcib* allows to shutdown cleanly.
   Fragments from dmesg:
   ichlpcib0 at pci0 dev 31 function 0
   ichlpcib0: vendor 0x8086 product 0x24cc (rev. 0x01)
   timecounter: Timecounter "ichlpcib0" frequency 3579545 Hz quality 1000
   ichlpcib0: 24-bit timer
   ichlpcib0: TCO (watchdog) timer configured.
   ichlpcib0: SpeedStep enabled
   But Celeron-M used in my Thinkpad doesn't have SpeedStep.

could you try some tests for this?

in sys/arch/x86/pci/ichlpcib.c lpcibattach() function, try
commenting out each of the 4 things this driver sets up:

if you can test multiple times with only one commented, or
only one left in, and figure out which part causes the
reboot to fail, that would be very helpful.