Re: 5.0/i386 regressions

Je Sat, 24 Jan 2009 22:00:07 +0000 (UTC) christos%astron.com@localhost (Christos
Zoulas) scribis:

> In article <slrngnmv1m.9h.d.den.brok%moskito.lokales.netz@localhost>,
> Dennis den Brok  <d.den.brok%uni-bonn.de@localhost> wrote:
> >I'm experiencing two problems with 5.0_BETA from 22nd January,
> >in all cases using the GENERIC kernel:
> >
> >* On my two laptops, an IBM R50e and a Dell Latitude X1, NetBSD
> >won't shutdown cleanly, however in slightly different ways:
> >the Dell just does not power off after the kernel syncing disks,
> >while the IBM appears to be off (including all of the LEDs), but
> >can't be turned on again unless properly power-cycled.
> >Both work with kernels from the 4.x series.
> >
> >* Running a 5.0 kernel with a 4.0.1 userland, users are unable
> >to mount anymore, despite vfs.generic.usermount being set to 1
> >and the mount point being owned and writable by the corresponding
> >user. Mounting under a 4.0.1 kernel works properly.
> >I should perhaps note that I only checked this for tmpfs.
> >
> >Please find dmesgs produced on the Dell machine below.
> >
> >Are these known problems? Does anyone have a hint on how to solve
> >some of them?
>
> No, please file PR's with the dmesg...

I have encounted this problem too. I've learned that disabling
ichlpcib* allows to shutdown cleanly.

Fragments from dmesg:

ichlpcib0 at pci0 dev 31 function 0
ichlpcib0: vendor 0x8086 product 0x24cc (rev. 0x01)
timecounter: Timecounter "ichlpcib0" frequency 3579545 Hz quality 1000
ichlpcib0: 24-bit timer
ichlpcib0: TCO (watchdog) timer configured.
ichlpcib0: SpeedStep enabled

But Celeron-M used in my Thinkpad doesn't have SpeedStep.

I've filed PR for this.

Daniel

--
Daniel Horecki