Re: Autoloading of pseudo-device modules

On Jan,Friday 16 2009, at 2:42 AM, Adam Hamsik wrote:

Hi,
On Jan,Wednesday 14 2009, at 6:50 PM, Antti Kantee wrote:

On Wed Jan 14 2009 at 14:54:49 +0100, Adam Hamsik wrote:
Because dm driver is not enabled in kernel yet, and it is installed as
new style module.
I have written this small patch [1] to subr_devsw.c which enable auto-
drivers. In my patch I'm changing cdev_open/bdev_open routines to try
to load module if they
was not able to look up it.

Good, we need this feature.

I have also converted some of our well known pseudo-drivers to modules
so we can remove them from kernel.
[2], [3], [4]. I don't have cgd or raidframe* setup but I will test it
more.

Both take a few minutes to set up, so I don't think this is a very
convincing excuse for lack of superficial testing.

I will do it when this patch will stabilise little bit. I have university
exams now so I don't have too much time.

If there are no serious objections I would like to commit this patch against devsw and modules, too(if raidframe module doesn't work yet we can at least test it). We will probably need to re-implement this feature after mjf-devfs branch merge,
but until that day comes we can use this patch without any problems:).

Regards

Adam.