Re: Include spdmem(4) in GENERIC amd64 & i386 kernels?

On Mon, Dec 08, 2008 at 03:54:16PM -0500, Jared D. McNeill wrote:
> On Mon, 8 Dec 2008, Thor Lancelot Simon wrote:
>
>> Not on an embedded device where I don't want to ship a big honking GPL
>> executable but _do_ want to be able to see if any memory modules have
>> mysteriously changed or gone missing...
>
> You're not running GENERIC on that device are you?

No.  But it is just one example of a system where someone might not want
to install stuff from pkgsrc to get the same kind of system configuration
information that has traditionally been printed out by the kernel at boot
time, where available.  And for 8K of device driver size -- it seems like
we should include it.

Also, running dmidecode requires running the system in insecure mode.  That
sucks.

--
Thor Lancelot Simon
tls%rek.tjls.com@localhost