Re: Include spdmem(4) in GENERIC amd64 & i386 kernels?

On Mon, 8 Dec 2008, Jared D. McNeill wrote:

Does anyone have any objections to adding spdmem(4) to GENERIC kernels on i386 and amd64?

Is there any functional reason to add them, or is it purely for the dmesg pr0n?

Purely for the dmesg output, and making the data available via sysctl for those who would like to run that data against decode-dimms utility.

(I'm currently working with the decode-dimms folks to update it to work with DDR3.)

As earlier reported, the footprint is extremely small (IIRC, I found a difference of about 8KB), and the change does NOT include adding any sort of scan of the i2c bus; this is still optional since it caused some problems on certain systems when previously enabled.

|   Paul Goyette   | PGP DSS Key fingerprint: |  E-mail addresses:   |
| Customer Service | FA29 0E3B 35AF E8AE 6651 |  paul%whooppee.com@localhost   |
| Network Engineer | 0786 F758 55DE 53BA 7731 | pgoyette%juniper.net@localhost |