Re: Path to kmods

On Thu, 13 Nov 2008, Andrew Doran wrote:
So, I wonder if we should change /netbsd to a directory that has the
actual kernel plus the modules that are associated with that specific
(actual) kernel.

The problem with this proprosal is that it espouses the notion that modules
are tied to a specific kernel.

It's possible that Linux and FreeBSD work this way - I don't know. In our
case, kernel modules are not tied to a specific kernel compliation. A great
deal of work has been done over the last 2.5 years to make that the case.

The situation that I have in mind is: take a kernel at point t, and at point t+2.5 years - will your statement still be true? The scenario that I have in mind is testing a new kernel, e.g. for system upgrades. (I still have 2.0 systems here, that I may want to update to 5.0 when it's out...)

 - Hubert