Re: Path to kmods

On Wed, 12 Nov 2008, Antti Kantee wrote:
I like the Linux naming.  Before your post, I was planning to suggest
/modules, but thought the name is too generic.

OK, another idea... maybe that's a bit radical, but so what:

Currently, /netbsd is "the stuff that is the kernel". To switch to a new kernel (for testing, or whatever), I have to replace /netbsd, e.g. by a symlink to a new/testing kernel, or by replacing the actual file.

With a modularized kernel, "the stuff that is the kernel" is basically the actual kernel plus modules.

So, I wonder if we should change /netbsd to a directory that has the actual kernel plus the modules that are associated with that specific (actual) kernel.

To switch to a new "kernel", I'd have /netbsd either as simple directory or as symlink to something that has my own naming scheme, just as now. The choice of the naming scheme would be left to the user, and we could assume to be the "kernel"(-stuff) still be in /netbsd.

 - Hubert (sober ;)