Re: RFC: NUMA support

On Mon, Nov 10, 2008 at 05:11:37PM +0200, Christoph Egger wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I started to work on NUMA support. First step is to set up the
> topology.
>
> It does this by scanning the ACPI SRAT table.
> If no ACPI SRAT table is present or if you boot w/ ACPI disabled,
> a one node NUMA system is faked.
>
> The boot code also utilizes the ACPI MADT table to get more
> information so far possible.
>
> I showed rmind@ my patch so far. I share his opinion, that
> it needs some more thoughts on the MI API side.

FYI, at work we're working on a project which targets an architecture with
up to 4k CPU core, heavily NUMA (the L2 caches can't cache the whole memory
range). so I'm all for a good MI API on this :)

> [...]
> A note, this patch breaks compiling Xen2 kernels. But since Xen2 is going
> to be removed in -current, I don't care.

But it's not removed yet. it's be better to have it build for now
(especially as I suspect it shouldn't be hard to make it compile).